Odisha’s Health Minister Naba Kisore Das died on Sunday hours after he was shot at by an assistant sub-inspector of police in Jharsuguda district. He received bullet wounds on his chest.
Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) Gopal Chandra Das, who fired at the minister, has been detained.
The incident took place as soon as the minister got off his car and was about to walk to the newly built BJD office at around 12.30 pm when shots were fired at him by ASI Das.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik condoled the death of the minister, who was first rushed to Jharsuguda hospital and later flown to Apollo Hospital, Bhubaneswar, in an air ambulance, where he breathed his last.
Here are 5 things to know about Naba Kishore Das:
- Das was the Health and Family Welfare Minister of Odisha and was likely to play a major role in the upcoming 2024 elections.
- Naba Das was a very influential leader from Jharsuguda. He joined the BJD a few years ago after dumping the Congress.
- He was among the newly appointed ministers who took oath in June, 2022 after CM Naveen Patnaik’s decision to revamp his cabinet.
- He consistently won elections from the Jharsuguda constituency, twice with a Congress ticket and once after he joined the BJD.
- According to a 2022 report, Naba Kishore Das was one of the richest in the Naveen Patnaik cabinet. He had declared movable and immovable property worth Rs 34 crore, some of them in the name of his spouse. Until 2021, Das’ wife owned 65 vehicles.
Read all the Latest India News here